In a noisy world where we’re always ‘go go go’, it’s important to take stock of how we’re using our energy - mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually.
We can often have what I call energy leaks, where we may find ourselves in a space of constantly giving, spending energy on what doesn’t serve us or not filling up our own cup before we pour. We can all be guilty of this, especially if you're a naturally giving, caring person or in a service-based line of work. Truly, I know it can be easier said than done when you hear 'just look after yourself before anybody else!'. However, it's the truth. Whatever the personal attributes or situation, we must start to prioritise taking care of our energy.
By energy, I mean everything that makes us, us. Our mind, body and spirit.
So, I wanted to come here today to share some simple ways you can take care of your energy and fill up your cup before being the amazing person that you are. And just note - feeling burned out doesn't always correlate to what you're doing for others, it can be anything you're giving a lot of your energy to in your life. It's time to start giving ourselves permission to look after ourselves, holistically, and move through life feeling a more soulful you.
How you can take care of your energy
- Hold space for yourself, check in regularly to see where you're at and how you're feeling
- Choose to focus on experiences that are life-sustaining and not life-draining.
- Learn how to say no to the things that aren't aligned with you right now. This takes practice, but know that you owe it to yourself to say no when you need to - or want to.
- Shift your attention to your present moment, rather than the past or the future . The present moment is all that exists, so you're best to spend your time there!
- Let go of any heavy self-expectation or pressure, and release the strive for perfection. 'Time anxiety' also comes into play here… know you’re exactly where you need to be and there’s no rush.
- (A fave one of mine!) Regularly ask yourself 'what would someone who loved themselves do?', to tap into your intuition. Whilst asking this powerful, yet simple question, place your hands on your heart. Follow the guidance.
- Make what you love, your passions and joy a priority. This is very important.
- Use your own love language with yourself. For example, if that's words of affirmation, tell yourself what you need to hear. If it's gifting, get yourself that bunch of flowers. It doesn't have to be anything drastic, just giving yourself what you need in the moment.
How are you going to take care of your energy? Did any of the above stand out for you? I'd love to know!